Monday 23 November 2009

New Trend Rising?

Vampires. Werwolves. And a danger magnet named Bella. What do these three things mean to you? To a normal person, probably nothing. But to me, a self confessed TwiHard, they mean one thing. Twilight.

Or to be more specific, the sequel to Twilight, The Twilight Saga: New Moon. With my ticket booked, and my shift at work finished, my excitement couldn’t be contained. Not only was I finally getting to see the movie I had so desperately been waiting for, but I was going to a midnight viewing, one of the first screenings of New Moon to be watched in the U.K. I could literally have howled with glee. My mind couldn’t have been further from fashion on this particular night. I was intently focused on the glorious Twilight hunks, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner. As an avid member of Team Edward, I was shocked to find I was leaning towards the territory of Team Switzerland when I saw the newly buff and brooding Jacob Black. They really have ruined it for all mortal men.
Bella Swan is a lucky, lucky girl. Two gorgeous, mythical men fighting over her. Swoon.

Anyhoo, enough talking about them or I’ll be back at the cinema drooling in 10 seconds flat.

But all of this got me thinking. Is fantasy the newest trend?

You can see people sitting on the bus, at the bus stop, in cafes or even in lectures, reading the books, but it goes much further than that.

Franchises such as Twilight and Trueblood, which stem from the books, movies and television, based on myths, legends and scary stories, have launched huge fan bases. These fan bases have clothing, home wear, accessories and much more, all dedicated to what they love. I mean, they even have Christmas decorations! (mental note: buy Twilight Christmas decorations).

It’s not hard to walk down the street and see just how big fantasy is becoming. You see the posters and advertisements in bus stops, shop windows, and even on the clothes people wear. Lion and Lamb hoodies, Mrs Edward Cullen t-shirts, or bags which simply say ‘Bite me’ followed by the name of a fictional vampire are widely sported amongst the teens of the world. And not just teens! There is also items for older women, maternity wear, menswear.

Is this a trend for everyone? Will we soon see mothers and daughters wearing matching or opposing Team Edward/Jacob t-shirts?

If fantasy really is the newest must have, then all I want for Christmas is a bronze haired, sparkly vampire and a russet brown werewolf. Oh and Santa? If I’m really good, would you throw in Eric Northman from Trueblood as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment